Mad River Glen, A Chronology
1947-48 Initial trails cut: Catamount, Lift Line, Fall Line, Canyon and Porcupine. November snows stop construction and the opening is postponed for a year.
1948-49 Trails improved, lift finished. Opening ceremonies were held on December 11, 1948.
1949-50 No Stop No Fall and Easter Parade traditions begin.
1950-52 Father & Son Race moves to MRG from Stowe, evolves into the Family Tournament.
1952-53 Jack Murphy becomes General Manager, Ken Quackenbush starts his career at MRG. Chalet 10 (little house across from Amateur Ski Club house) is built.
1953-54 Hartford & Amateur Ski Clubs build Club houses at MRG.
1954-55 Practice Hill Rope Tow is installed. MRG hosts the NCAA Downhill Championship Race
1955-56 The Base Boxes first addition (the east end) is built.
1957-58 McCullough Turnpike (Route 17), the road over the mountain is completed.
1958-59 New tower is added at the bottom of the Single Chair. Beaver trail is cut. T Bar goes in on the Practice Slope. Sugarbush opens.
1959-60 First Ski Shop is built over the brook.
1960-61 First Tucker Snow Cat is purchased. The second Base Box addition (currently Gen. Starkis Pub) is completed. Trails were cut for proposed Sunnyside double chair.
1961-62 Sunnyside Double Chair opens. First Green & Gold Weekend. Parachute Race into Catamount Bowl.
1962-63 A new trail, Quacky, is added and named for Ken Quackenbush.
1963-64 Lower Antelope opens. 1964-65 Upper Antelope opens.
1965-66 The last season for the Bud Phillips Ski School
1966-67 Birdland Trails open. Rudi Maier Ski School opens. Touring trails open.
1967-68 Birdland Lift opens. 10th Annual Kandahar Race. Base Boxis 3rd addition, the upstairs, is completed.
1968-69 Birdcage Opens. Last season food and beverage are served at Starkis Nest. Saturday night movies!
1969-70 National Slalom held at MRG. Four tracked vehicles used on mountain.
1970-71 Junior Nationals held at MRG. Vermont is Act 250 development law is passed ending land sales on the mountain. Tennis courts built at Mad River Barn.
1971-72 T Bar dismantled and replaces by new Double Chair Lift. Mad River Junior Racing Program starts.
1986-87 Snowboards allowed at MRG 1991-92 Snowboard ban begins at MRG
1995-96 Mad River Glen Cooperative purchases mountain on December 5, 1995 & the mountain opens with ceremony at the Single Chair on December 7.
1999-00 The Co-op sells the 1,667th share to pay off MRG mortgage and is owned outright by the Co-op.
Color -- 45 minutes -- Copyright: The Mad River Glen Cooperative